Cushions are the ideal way to decorate a space and make it feel comfortable and inviting. More affordable than changing up your furniture or bedding every season, cushions are available in a huge range to suit every style. With over 630 items currently in stock, when you buy cushions online from Manchester Warehouse the hardest part is choosing which ones you like best!
Cushions are a seasonal product, with different designs coming and going all the time. The range of cushions for sale on our site changes almost daily, as our suppliers release new designs every season. There are however, some cushions for sale online on an ongoing basis, especially those in neutral tones and muted patterns. Our cushions come in a range of colours, styles and compositions, and can be paired together to create spaces that are as Zen or lively as you are.
Different types of cushions
Cushions come in an enormous range of shapes and sizes, colours, styles, and materials. When choosing the right cushion for you, each element must be considered.
Shapes and sizes
Our cushions come in three main shapes, with a range of sizes within each general shape. These are:
- Square cushions - Common sizing for square cushions include 50 x 50cm, 48 x 48cm, 45 x 45cm, 43 x 43cm and 41 x 41cm.
- Rectangular cushions - Common sizing for rectangular cushions include 30 x 50cm, 35 x 55cm, 30 x 60cm, and 40 x 60cm.
- Circular cushions - Circular cushions are commonly available as 38cm round, 40cm round, or 45cm round.
When choosing the right shape for you, consider what other cushions you will be working with. It is often best to select a range of different shapes to create contrast and visual interest.
In addition to our regular cushions, we also have a selection of odd-shaped cushions which we call novelty cushions. These shaped cushions are generally for kids (or the young at heart!). Here you will find cushions designed in the shape of something like a fire truck or a star, and the cushions are often completely 3D, similar to a stuffed toy.
Floor cushions are extra large cushions designed for lounging on the floor. Where we stock these, they will be clearly marked as floor cushions to ensure there are no surprises about the size.
From bohemian tassels, crochet, and macrame right through to nautical stripes and neutrals, cushions come in all sorts of styles to suit your taste or decor theme.
Popular prints and styles include:
- Animal cushions, including birds, butterflies and flamingos
- Boho, vintage or shabby chic cushions
- Floral cushions, including both traditional florals and modern palm tree and tropical cushions.
- Textured cushions, including fur, knit, leather, pom pom and sequin cushions
- Plain or generic cushions, whether in bright or neutral colours
- Nautical or striped cushions
- Cushions with pictures such as skulls, stars, etc.
Whether you choose cushions in one style or mix it up with a number of different styles is completely up to you.
The material of a cushion is important for both functionality and appearance. Combining cushions of different material can be the best way to introduce contrasting texture into your space.
Fluffy faux fur cushions, velvet cushions and knit cushions tend to be more popular in the winter months. Knits are considered a basic, and often one knit cushion will be available in many colours which makes it easy to introduce texture regardless of your colour scheme.
Other materials that can introduce unique textures include leather, often in the form of leather detailing, and natural fabrics like cotton, linen, silk and even jute or hessian.
One of the biggest reasons people buy cushions is to inject colour into their home! We stock cushions in every colour and shade, so you are sure to find something that suits your space perfectly.
Our popular colour offerings include:
Whether you are after muted pastel cushions or bright tropical cushions, we have colours that we know you will love!
How to style cushions on a sofa or lounge
Whether you know them as living room cushions, lounge cushions, scatter cushions or throw cushions, those small cushions you find on a couch can make a world of difference to how cosy a lounge room feels. The best way to style couch cushions depends on the orientation and layout of your sofa, the size, and your own personal taste. Some common choices include:
- 2-seater couch - a cushion in each corner
- 3 seater couch - a cushion on each chair pad
- Sectional - a cluster of cushions in the corner with a couple on the other end
- Arm chair - One or two cushions in the centre or off-centre
The basic principle for layering cushions is bigger at the back, smaller at the front. Try combining different textures and colours. Whatever type of furniture you are styling, consider using a throw rug that matches one of your cushions to create a cohesive look and to add extra comfort, and pair with cushions in complementary colours.
How to style cushions on a bed
Bed cushions add luxury and comfort to your space, making your bed look truly inviting at the end of a long day. The most common way to style your bed is as follows, working from back to front:
- European pillows - two for a Queen size bed or smaller, three for a King or Super King size bed
- Pillows in your sheet set pillowcases
- Pillows in your quilt cover or coverlet set pillowcases
- Cushions in front, following the same principle of larger cushions at the back, smaller at the front
How many cushions you have and the combination of sizes and shapes is very personal and depends on the size of your bed, but a common selection is a big square, a smaller square, and a rectangle, to create a layered effect.
At Manchester Warehouse we stock cushions from a range of leading brands, including Aura, Bambury, Florence Broadhurst, Kas, and Logan and Mason. You can buy cushions online Australia wide for one low flat rate of $9.95, so whether you’re looking for cushions in Sydney or cushions in Adelaide, you can find exactly what you need all in one convenient online location. We send cushions to Melbourne, to Perth, to Cairns and to Hobart every day, keeping people comfy wherever they are.