SELECTING THE RIGHT QUILT FOR YOU
Doona, duvet or quilt? Whatever you call it, it goes without saying that the key to a good nights’ sleep is having the right one. In finding the perfect quilt for you, there are a few important factors to consider. What size do you need? Are you a cold or hot sleeper? What is the quilt made of? Initially, the process of searching for the ideal quilt can be overwhelming, but never fear, we are here to help! Read on and you will find the confidence to ensure that your next purchase is your perfect match.
WHAT SIZE QUILT DO I NEED?
Believe it or not, the size of your quilt is critical to your comfort and ensuring that you wake up feeling well- rested. To maximise the coverage, visual appeal and luxurious feel of your bed, we recommend that you upsize your quilt. A Single bed therefore requires a Double quilt, a Double bed requires a Queen quilt, and so on. See our size ranges here for a further explanation here.
Our Most PopularSHOP ALL
AM I A COLD SLEEPER?
The temperature of a quilt can make or break a good nights’ sleep. In Australia, quilts have a simple numerical warmth rating such as 1, 2 and 3 – the higher the number, the warmer the quilt. Taking into consideration whether you are a hot or cold sleeper, as well as the climate that you live in, will assist your decision in choosing the best quilt rating for you.
Cold sleeper, or live in a cooler climate? The feather and down, microfibre or wool composition quilts are the best doonas for you as they effectively keep in the heat. Shop warmer quilt products here.
Quilts For Cold SleepersSHOP ALL
Sheets for Cold SleepersSHOP ALL
AM I A HOT SLEEPER?
It is difficult to have a single quilt that caters for all seasons and climates. For utmost comfort throughout the year, it is often best to change your quilt to match the season you are in, such as changing from a summer warmth quilt to a winter warmth quilt. There is such a thing as a mid range temperature quilt, however this may not accommodate everyone’s specific temperature needs, and in the cooler months you may need to add extra blankets.
Quilts For Hot SleepersSHOP ALL
Sheets for Hot SleepersSHOP ALL
WHAT IS AN ALL-SEASONS QUILT?
If you need more, and you won’t entertain the idea of switching doonas between seasons, it is worth considering an all-seasons quilt. These quilts feature two pieces that are joined together either by zip or snap clips, in summer you can separate them and put the other section away until you need it again. It comes in very handy when you have guests too! This multipurpose product can even provide a solution for those couples who have different warmth requirements. Imagine that, no more doona disputes!
Quilts For All SeasonsSHOP ALL
Sheets For All SeasonsSHOP ALL
DO I SUFFER FROM ALLERGIES?
If you suffer from allergies or other associated health concerns, you should consider bed quilts that are made from hypoallergenic materials, such as cotton, bamboo and microfibre. It is best to avoid feather and down, as these are not ideal for allergies or those who suffer from hay fever. The Asthma Foundation are a good resource and approve quality quilts & duvets that are suitable for those who are asthmatic.
Quilts For Allergy SufferersSHOP ALL
Sheets For Allergy SufferersSHOP ALL
HOW DO I CHOOSE THE BEST QUILT FILLING AND LOFT?
Considering how much time you spend in your lifetime with a quilt on you, it is fair enough that people like to know what their quilt is composed of! We have quilts for sale in all different kinds of materials, including cotton and cotton blends, synthetics, feather & down, wool, bamboo and even silk. Keep these basic facts in mind, and you will be well equipped to make the right quilt choice suited for you.
- Cotton - perfect if you prefer natural fibres. Lightweight and breathable, good for the hot sleeper.
- Microfibres - are synthetic and easy to care for, and can usually be machine or hand-washed. They are lightweight, warm and hypoallergenic.
- Wool - is sustainable and appeals for all year round warmth. Made of natural fibres, a wool quilt is breathable yet warm, and helps our body regulate its own temperature. It provides a heavier option, for those who like to feel weight while they sleep.
- Bamboo - are natural and sustainable quilts that are lightweight and warm.
- Silk - luxurious and comfortable, but not ideal if you allow pets to sleep on your bed.
- Feather and down - breathable, warm and lightweight, good for the cold sleeper. Not recommended for those with allergies. The down component of the quilt is composed of the soft and fluffy clusters that grow under the outer layer of the bird to protect them from the cold. The higher the down content, the warmer and lighter the quilt will be. The feather component adds loft to the quilt allowing it to look and feel fuller, without weight.
More a design feature than a functional feature, the loft of quilt refers to how high a quilt lies and whether it will have a flat like a pancake, or light ‘cloud’ look on your bed. Loft ratings can either have a soft, or high rating. If you want a fluffy luxurious look for your quilt, a high or a super high rating is more what you are after.